Friday, May 23, 2014

Claire Wendling Interview


This is an unbelievable rare treat for an artist! 

Big props to Claire Wendling, and Bobby Chiu of Schoolism for putting this interview together.


Claire Wendling's art is so imaginative, expressive and inspiring! I'm a huge fan of hers for years, she's THE artist-cat-lady in my books. 



I don't wanna spoil the whole interview for you, so I'll just briefly touch on a few points that resonates with me.

1. She struggles with her art.

I've long observed that no artist, no matter how skilled, experienced or masterful were entirely free of doubt and misgivings about their own craft. In fact, it seems that those who are especially skilled are the ones who are the most humble and modest, sometimes bordering on meek. Seeing her talk about having bad days and producing "crap" really drove the point home for me and gave me renewed humility and a desire to be like her.




2. She wasn't a people person.

This shouldn't come as a surprise given her incredible ability to depict animals, but it was still pretty amazing when she revealed that she grew up on a farm, with animals, and were more at ease with them than she was with other human beings! I was the same way when I was little, except my friends were cartoon characters. It might have contributed to my less than stellar social skills, but I'm still glad that this isolation and possibly a stroke of serenpidity had funneled me into the life of an artist.



3. She struggled with life.
I won't go into the details here but the courage and perseverance she displays here while recanting the most recent period of her life is touching, and incredibly motivating.



Thanks again to Claire Wendling, I wish her all the best, but I know she'll come through rain or shine, and create amazing art all along the way.





Here's Claire's home page and tumbler



No comments:

Post a Comment